Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy One Month Birthday, Baby Boy!

My Son, you are one month old!
I can hardly believe we have known you for a whole month.
And yet, strangely, I feel you have always been a part of me, a part of our family. My heart loves you so completely, so fully! I think of you every moment of every day, sending you love and saying lots of prayers.

This is you not long after you were born.
How much you have changed in just one short month!

It's such a bummer - I'm sick today. Devin was sick last week with a bad cold and a fever, then Khiana got sick, and now it my and Daddy's turn. That's what happens when you're a family. We share a lot of things with each other. Like germs :) I'm also sad today. Because I'm sick I chose to stay home from the hospital and not risk exposing you to our germs. (Even though you're very much a part of our family! :)  I miss you desperately. My heart longs to hold you close, practice nursing some more, and tell you how much I love you. I'm trying really hard to get all better so we can snuggle tomorrow.
Families do this, too. Mostly just the boys.
You're one of The Boys!


In my absence today your Granny (she's MY Mommy) brought you some fresh milk and loved on you. It was her first time getting to hold you - I could hear the excitement in her voice when I called her and told her she could snuggle with you. She was just about giddy! You both look so happy in the picture she sent me. When you keep growing and getting bigger you'll spend lots of time with your Granny and Papa. Papa keeps asking me when he can take you on an Adventure. He loves to take his grandchildren on adventures - you'll get a turn when you're 15 years old and I finally let other people take care of you.

You both look content and cozy in each other's arms

This week you had an eye exam to check if your eyes are developing appropriately, and to make sure you don't have any problems with your retina. Lots of people were praying for you, for your eyes, and guess what? God has answered our prayers! Just like He always has, and your lovely baby blues are just fine! They have some more growing and developing to do, but otherwise they're perfect. just like the rest of you.

After nursing and doing a wonderful job.
Such a big, satisfied grin! 
Every day you're growing, getting bigger and bigger! Today you weigh a whole 3 pounds 5 ounces! We've been practicing nursing together the last few days. We both really enjoy it. You have surprised me at how good you are at eating (when you're awake, that is!). When you don't feel like eating you make this very grumpy scowl and clamp your mouth shut. Did I mention you are a very clever little boy?

You were breathing so well this week we were able to take you off your nasal canula and oxygen completely for a whole day. Seeing your little face without the tubes warmed my heart - you are one handsome little guy. Your nose is cutely up-turned and those cheeks of yours are starting to fill out ever so slightly. We found out that when you're eating and your tummy gets very full it's difficult for you to take a deep breath. So to keep you from having to work so hard we gave you the oxygen back. It's just a tiny bit with a little flow going in your nose. I know you don't like the tubes and tape, and it'd be nice if you could just pull if off like you try to, but don't worry baby boy. We'll get your body strong and those lungs bigger so you won't need any help breathing. Maybe in a few more days.

Sleeping on your Daddy.
What an adorable wee nose you have


You might be wondering why all the nurses that come in to your room are now wearing gloves and yellow gowns. The doctor did a little test swabbing the inside of your nose. The test showed us that you have MRSA on your skin. It sounds scary doesn't it? I thought so, too. But I was quickly reassured that it's no big deal, really, we just need to be extra careful that other sicker babies at the hospital don't catch it. Lots of people have this bacteria on their skin. It's only a problem if you get a bad infection and the antibiotics might not work very well. We're praying hard that you don't get any infections and that the MRSA is never an issue. You friend, Baby K has it on his skin, too. So don't worry, Mama can still hang out with them.

Yesterday, when I was talking to the doctor she mentioned that because you're doing so well she expects you'll get to come home in about three weeks. Three Weeks! I can't hardly believe it would be so soon. You'll need to do a few important things before you're strong enough to come home. Things like doing all your breathing on your own, taking all your food from Mama or a bottle, that your heart rate stays strong without any dips or Apnea, and you'll need to be four pounds. If you came home at just four pounds, you'd be more than half the size of your big brother when he was born. Can you believe that?! Daddy and I are hoping your car seat will fit in our little car in between your brother and sister's seat. Or that God would provide a bigger vehicle and money to pay for it. I'd quite like a way to be able to bring you home from the hospital. And to the park, and your cousin's house, and other fun places (that don't have lots of germs, that is!)

You've started to wear clothes now that you're turning into a bigger boy. One day I walked in and found you wearing this outfit....

It looks like maybe you and the nurse were on a little joke.
Is that you laughing at me? :)
I still can't decide if the nurse thought you were a girl (surely not!), or if she thought his was a modern, masculine purple shirt. I realized it was time to bring in your own preemie clothes (thank you for sharing, Rachael!). How handsome you are in your very boyish outfits.



The outfit is better suited for your big sister's baby doll - don't you think?


I love you my son! I love you always and forever.

See you in the morning.

6 comments:

  1. This post made me smile and tear up, all at the same time. So many answers to prayer. What a precious boy you are, Jimmy! I love you so much, and I can't wait to see you again. :)

    love, Auntie Kiara

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. I laughed about the 15 joke.... I feel like that about Madi too :). Can't wait until sweet Jimmy is home with you for good, safe and warm in your arms, but also with his brother and sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful update. I am so happy for your mama getting to hold Jimmy. The Lord is good! I pray you and Andrew are better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Annie, he is too cute! Love to hear that he is doing pretty well. Prayers for you all along this trying journey. Lots of love, Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah! so glad to read about so many answered prayers. hope you feel better tomorrow so you can hold your sweet baby boy. he's so blessed to have you for a mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so grateful that he is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete