![]() |
| The nurse did a great job with his IV. Got him on the first prick- - and he was even given a little sucrose on his paci to ease the pain and keep him content. He loved the sweet treat. |
I was able to hold him while he got his blood pressure taken, a little blood sugar prick on his heal, and while the transfusion was started...and for several hours during. We both felt much better in each other's arms. The little guy didn't get to eat several hours before or after, so he was a little grumpy and REALLY wanting to eat. (this is a newer theory to prevent intestinal infections after transfusions. a good reason, I suppose :) other than that he was a real trooper handling it all so well.
| See the tiny IV in his hand? He kept trying to suck on it, poor hungry boy. |
He didn't need a second IV, which I'm so glad for. He stayed stable during the transfusion and is doing much better now. Back to eating. He has a lovely pink color and getting his fiesty-ness back! Praying his blood levels balance out now, and he won't need anymore transfusions. I hope he'll be able to come off oxygen completely now, get stronger, and continue to grow and eat well.
Although a transfusion is a scary thing for parents to hear their baby needs, and to have to watch their baby go thru, I am so extremely thankful for all who have given their blood- donating life and health to such little ones as these.

So good. Praise the Lord! Happy New Year, Jimmy. 2012 is going to be your year!
ReplyDeleteI remember staying in the NICU with Madi and seeing the little guy accross the way get his transfusions. I know it's not fun, and I am keeping you both in my prayers!
ReplyDelete